Monday, April 07, 2008

Art Walk- Weeneez



I took this painting and nine others to Julie Rico's gallery in downtown Los Angeles. It's a combination hot dog restaurant and art gallery, and on Thursday nights, once a month, there's an event called art walk that leads people through the downtown galleries.

I really liked Julie a lot and hope the paintings will sell. They'll just be there a month. It's a group show. There's going to be a burrito bar there as well.

I improvised a recipe last night that was so tasty I must record it, so I can do it again some time.

I bought a pack of lobster raviolis at Gelson's. Here's the sauce I made for them, based on looking here and there and the rather empty cabinet:
  • Sauteed two sliced garlic cloves in 1/2 stick butter.
  • Add 1/4 cup tomato paste from a fancy tube.
  • Add about a jigger of vodka.
  • when it looks pasty and cooking, add a little whole milk since you don't have any cream.
Easy and tasty. Don't skimp on the butter.

8 comments:

Linda Davick said...

This painting is stupendous. How big is it, and how much will your paintings cost? What is this painting called? I love it that the gallery is a combination hot dog restaurant and art gallery. When is the Thursday night--will you go & take photos of your paintings for us?

It sounds like you had a great weekend (dogs, dim sum, paintings, lobster ravioli). It's so important not to skimp on the butter.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Whooo hooo! Nice painting.
(I'm a sucker for originality, whimsy and bright colors!)

Sally said...

Thanks Linda and Namowal. The paintings aren't that large, all gouache on paper. I think we're going to Fresno on Thursday. My camera drove me nuts, did I mention that? I brought my old small pocket digital to record the pictures she retained. It refused to work. Jon tried too. I removed and reinserted all its parts. Then on the way home it fell out of my purse and turned itself on. Perverse!

Anonymous said...

Great painting. Hot dog restaurant is perfect art venue! Are the paintings new? Hope they sell.

Sally said...

These paintings are twenty years old!

She had acrylic "frames" of various sizes that bolt right into the wall, so her choices were based on the frame sizes she already had.

Anonymous said...

Funny about the frame sizes! Actually for my exhibit I'm trying to work in standard sizes so framing will be cheaper....

Anonymous said...

btw, are those brain dendrites?

Sally said...

Sal, that comment was a blast from the past!

When I was a teenager I had an alter ego named Opal Dendrite. I don't think she had a face, but I'd sign silly things Opal Dendrite, you know how that is. Hadn't thought of old Opal at all until your post.