Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dressed for the Season



This weekend marks the start of hunting season for elk. Moose and bear hunting are over. So nuts that they allow moose hunting in the same state where they're spending money on reintroducing moose. Molly has a new jacket, lime yellow, but you can't tell from the picture.

The bear who passed by here is safe for winter. This giant load was filled with acorn shells. I didn't step in it. This was near our house, and must be from a big black bear.



We had a huge wind storm yesterday, so noisy that we didn't even hear this giant tree fall over. It looks a bit like a stagosaurus, but not from this angle.

7 comments:

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Glad Molly has her safety jacket on.
I had no idea people still hunted bears. What on earth for? Do people make bearburgers? Bears scare me, but I wouldn't relish shooting one.
That must have been some storm if it took out the tree. Wow.

A Wanderer said...

Sally, please make a new blog post! I want to get the image of that bear turd off the screen!

Anonymous said...

she is so pretty. And wearing my favorite color.

That's a blue sky all right--after the windstorm. Where do you like living better: ca or co?

Sally said...

Namowal, they only shoot bears for their coat- isn't that gross? A wanderer, vote for Obama and I'll post a new picture-- or maybe I will anyway! Linda, I thought of you with that color. Are you back? I like living here better than in California, though I miss my Wacom tablet!

Anonymous said...

As someone who has gone out unsuccessfully during bear season, I beg to differ with the opinions expressed here. If one takes a bear who has feasted on berries, the meat is said to be very good. If the bears has been feeding on acorns and offal and roadkills, it is said to be less than gourmet. The value of bear fat has kept many amerindian families through tough winters for thousands of years. I know I am about 4 standard deviations from the usual posters at this site, but I don't lie here or anywhere.

Linda Davick said...

Hi Sally, I got back last night! So now for another question: Which do you prefer drawing on: Your Wacom tablet, or your laptop screen?

Sally said...

Linda, I enjoy drawing on the tablet, but right now I'm thinking of redoing the blog layout. I think that would be easier to do on the wacom, because it involves large images. Well, we'll see. Does it bother you that your Flash header on your blog doesn't work on the i phone?