Monday, April 13, 2009

Closet Surprise



I thought this painting never left my Berkeley apartment when I moved out around 1980, so I was quite surprised to find it in a stack of unhung pictures today, deep, deep in the front hall closet.

It tells a story but I'm not sure what that story is.

It's not as yellow as this jpeg and the colors are intense. I painted it around 1974. At the time I was very inspired by watercolor paintings being done by a group of smart women in the East Bay. One of them, Lulu Stanley, is still painting, though I got stuck trying to find an image with google just now.

Can you believe I painted every one of those beads in the beaded curtain? Computers have made me so lazy about results.

Painting measures 8.5" x 11" and is for sale, framed already, for $600.

4 comments:

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Hehheh,
I was wondering about the curtain detail before I read about it.
I like the rainbow lamp and the funny dog-esque creature in the corner.
And... can that be...
Kentucky Fried Chicken at their feet??

Linda Davick said...

Sally, this is marvelous & WILD. I was mesmerized by the beaded curtain, too, before I read your post. We need to see this bigger. I can't believe you would have left it (intentionally) in an old apt. I'm glad you didn't.

Edward said...

Oddly, I seem to have unknowingly reproduced this in a story I drew recently. Exposure to S. C. is making me psychic. Is THIS what's going on?

http://sandfleapress.blogspot.com/2009/03/althea.html

Sally said...

Be sure you click through to the strip Edward Parker B. mentions. It's delightful, and so are the strips off to the side of his blog.