Friday, July 03, 2009

Crime Novelist:: Kjell Eriksson

If you like Scandinavian crime novels, you've probably lamented that you've read everything Henning Mankell has written, since it's unlikely there will be more Kurt Wallendar novels. But take heart:

Kjell Eriksson is almost as good. I'd read "Princess of Burundi" and thought it was pretty good, with female detective and single mother Ann Lindell at the center of the book, but I liked "The Cruel Stars of the Night" and "The Demon of Dakar" even better, again with Ann as the main character.

The hot Scandinavian novel right now is "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" but I didn't care for it.

Looking forward to a trip to the library next week, because I've run out of books! I don't just read crime novels, but was quite taken with two just read.

Happy 4th of July,wherever you spend it. We're going to see the parade in town, then the barbecue, but doubtful if we'll head back in for the fireworks. We were at the races in Ridgway today, and are going back on Sunday.

Got any books to recommend for me?

4 comments:

stray said...

Why no more Mankell?

Linda Davick said...

ok, let's see. How about Olive Kitteridge by Eliz. Stout?
Anything by Kate Atkinson...
Oh! Out Stealing Horses, by Per Pettersen is one you might like.
The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society?
White Tiger?
The Gathering (Anne Enright)
Do you like Elizabeth George?
Suite Francaise
Water for Elephants
The Night Watch by Sarah Waters
Laurie R. King also write some fun mysteries

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

If you like non fiction, I really, really enjoyed Predictibly Irrational by Dan Ariely. Fascinating and fun at the same time.

Sally said...

Mankell has said he's not writing more Kurt Wallendar novels as I understand it. His last book (excellent) was a group of short stories that told pieces of his detective's life in the early years.

Okay, Linda, thanks very much. I'm going to start writing these down and checking what's in the library.

I didn't like Water for Elephants. None of the others are familiar to me.

I've added your book to the list too, Namowal. Thanks!