My mother was moved to long term nursing care yesterday. I called today and the very jolly nurse said they were about to make peanut butter cookies together and it was a good time for me to call.
I said "Hi Mom" and she told me:
- She'd been in China but now she was in Hawaii.
- She was in a work camp run by the Episcopal Church.
- She was in a recreation hall and the people running things weren't very bright. I said, "Well you've always gotten along with people like that," and she said "That's true."
- She was amazed I was able to reach her on the telephone.
- She was worried about my father because he walks so much slower than most of the people where she was. (He died in 1969 and I remember he was a slow walker.)