Thursday, December 27, 2007

Psychology of Chickens




This picture above is done with my new Corel Painter software on automatic Classical Oil Painting mode. Isn't that wild?

We have a small group of silkie chickens, only one rooster and 4 hens. The youngest hen is two years old-- Pirate, above. She and her aunt Honey have been broody for about a week now, even though they had no eggs under them. Broody is a strange state in which the chicken almost never leaves her nest and flattens out, in a zone.

Yesterday morning I saw Honey and Pirate (who has only one working eye) fighting like roosters, kicking out at each other. I put Honey in another area of the aviary and closed the door. I let her out this morning and things seemed okay, but half an hour later they were at it again and Pirate's head top was bleeding a little. So she's in a separate cage in the garage with a plate full of yummies. She looks creepy below because the Polysporin exaggerated the wounded look- I really think she'll be fine. But as soon as there's blood with chickens you have to watch out for their cannibal inclinations. (ps- thanks Corel for the beauty job!)





8 comments:

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Glad you're having fun with Painter. That brush seems like it was created for Silkies.
Sorry to hear about the chicken catfight.
According to a science article I read, traces of collagen proteins from a well preserved T-rex bone matched most closely to those of chickens. (Link below if you're curious)
Perhaps that would explain their rowdy behavior.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2007-04-12-trex-protein_N.htm

Anonymous said...

I just got painter, too, but haven't experimented yet!

Sally said...

Sally, I just got Painter 4 Essentials, not the full version. It's really astonishing what it can do to a photograph. Being a painter, you may find it discouraging. The interface of pens and brushes is very pleasing to work with, but I still haven't done a background from scratch that I like-- still finding my way.

Anonymous said...

I got the full Painter X. I have been concerned all along that it would print pixelated, but wondered how it would work on paper that is more like watercolor paper and not glossy. Will try soon.

Linda Davick said...

I hope that isn't curry baked beanz I see on Pirate's platter.

Sally said...

Let me know how you like it, Sal, because now I'm thinking I may try the full version. Linda, the chickens wouldn't be served the holy beanz. Don't you think that first "painting" has a Goya feeling-- I mean if Goya painted portraits of chickens?

Sally said...

ps I outsmarted Honey the attack b@tch. Now she's in the cage in the garage and Pirate is amongst honorable James Brown and polite chickens without injury.

Anonymous said...

Yes, a Goya feeling! I think I need to try a tutorial to learn Painter. Will keep you posted.