Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Suits on the Wall



My mother has always associated blue jeans (aka dungarees) with the uniform my poor cousin Charley (different cousin) had to wear in the mental institution when he told the world he never wanted to work. He was locked up for life. My mother cannot comprehend the blue jean nation.

I always make a point of not wearing anything resembling blue jeans when I visit my mother. Even though she thinks my entire wardrobe looks sad, at least it doesn't look like they gave me a weekend pass. If only all the relatives realized what a flash point this is, including my niece who worked for Valentino for years...

If Sarah Palin had donated her wardrobe to me my mother would have been so happy. She loves tailored suits.

In fact, when I called her yesterday she told me in her low Exorcist voice that the nurses had pasted pictures of her in beautiful tailored suits all over the walls. They were pictures from different times in her life. "Pay attention" she told me.

When she called collect this morning she said no one had been to see her at the hospital, but she'd been at the football game yesterday. She told me not to get on a train until I got a letter from her.

Tonight when I called she was laughing and entirely herself. Whas going on?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad she sounded like her old self. I know Dad would get crazy (crazier) if (a) the sun went down or (b) he had a urinary tract infection.

Linda Davick said...

The human brain. GOSH!!

I guess when drugs, dementia, and fear get all tangled up, you can expect just about anything. Some of your mom's delusions are very entertaining...but it's sure a relief when our parents are "back to normal" for awhile.

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

I second Linda's observation that the human brain is baffling.
I also suspect the drugs are making her more off than usual.
On Sunday my Mom was mostly normal, but in the opera restroom (and after a glass of wine), I caught her approaching the sinks and soap like it was NASA mission control
"What's the procedure here?" she asked.
Not sure if that meant is this an automated faucet and how do I turn it on or if she was truly baffled. After that, back to normal.

Anonymous said...

True: drugs can cause hallucinations. I love that "what's the procedure here?"

A friend cracked up when his dad, saying goodbye at the nursing home one day, told him to "have your people get in touch with my people."

Anonymous said...

Tell us more about poor Cousin Charley....he appeals to me.

Sally said...

"What's the procedure here?" cracked me up too. She's sounding better today, got most of her story straight, and may go back to her home tomorrow.

Cousin Charlie was born early in the 20th century. He stayed locked up for life. Ironically, they used to send him work boots every year for Christmas. WORK boots!

Anonymous said...

If he was locked up just for not wanting to work, what does that say about the rest of us exactly....

Sally said...

When I was a kid, stories about Cousin Charley made me plenty nervous. That's all it takes to get locked up? Because who wants to work?!